Monday, April 25, 2011

Somewhere in the middle

I'm a bit late to the game here in terms of introducing myself...typical really.  I'm a bit of a flake anyway but I'll do my best to keep up.  I'm Kate or Katy or Katydid or, more recently, Mrs. McCarthy.  I'm the middle daughter of Carrie, sister to Molly and Sarah and niece to Donna, granddaughter to Norma Lenore.  I live in Manchester, England in a crumbling brick terraced house that my new husband Michael and I are desperately trying to hold together (sometimes by just some string, duct tape and hope) and spending my days in visa purgatory as a housewife...as of late that means painting the walls in ridiculous jewel tones and teaching myself guitar whilst waiting for my husband to come home so I can cook us a feast nearly every night.  I prided myself on my nomadic tendencies for years, spending the past 5 or 6 bouncing around between Maine, Italy, Germany for a couple of years and now finding myself in the unlikeliest of places: still, settled and married in the suburbs on a quiet tree lined dead end street with a garden.  But somehow it's made sense, landing here.  There was so much inconsistency to my life and a sense of profound displacement that when I met the man who was to become my husband, I clung to him, to the life he could give me...there has been calm now for months.  I know I was the one to worry about for a long time and to be honest, I'm feeling quite smug these days!  But there's comfort in routine, in living an ordinary life extraordinarily.  The only thing missing these days is the 3 incredible women contributing to this blog but hopefully through these conversations we'll stay closer than ever.  -Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment