Saturday, April 23, 2011

Just Sarah: The Rambling One

My name is Sarah Elizabeth Caouette-De Lallo. I don't expect you to memorize that, because I am pretty accustomed to the fact that most people don't. I go just by Sarah, named after the Hall and Oates song "Sarah Smile", I guess the name suits me, because I can't imagine going by anything else. My grandmother used to call me Lizzy, but it was the only real nickname I have ever had, and it was reserved for my Grammy only.

I'm 28 years old, a graduate student, and aspiring writer. Currently I'm displaced, not exactly settled, but trying to find where I belong. I recently moved to St. John V.I. for a week, only to end up back in New England spending nights on couches and in hotels, sorting through the practical stuff of trying to find a job and an apartment. Before I made this spontaneous move to the islands, I had a pretty comfortable situation. I lived alone, had a nice cushy job, and I was as close to single as I could come, (meaning I had ongoing relationships with men I cared for). For some this may sound like a great place to be in, but of course I wanted to see if the grass was really greener on the other side, and so I traded in the regular comforts of my lifestyle, for a leap without a safety net. This is a curiosity I have always seemed to have, and yet I still can't get a handle on it, often ending up back where I started in the first place. My mother assures me "happy and settled" is attainable, but I think part of her recognizes that it may not be my nature. I am happy, but always impatient for that next step. So, in the meantime I am writing like a banshee, submitting, and applying, hoping that something will pan out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment