Sunday, December 15, 2013

'Tis the Season

The first big snow of the year was an easy reason to be still
and home
and do the things I put off all week long
Piles wait for me
Unread newspapers slipping off of the sofa
Mail addressed to me, thick with pleas to contribute to one cause or another
Just because I donated once or never but fit a profile of 
some kind of bleeding heart
Unsorted laundry
Layers of scarves draped over the banister
The over the door hook in the downstairs bathroom
weights the door down with work garments that need special attention
Shriveled boots accumulate in the shoe tray, now water stained by the others 
placed carelessly on top.
And Christ! there are socks everywhere;
Under the kitchen table, in the living room, on the stairs, stuffed inside those limp boots.
I shoveled and swept a bit
Baked cookies for my students who I know will not have moms or grand moms who
love this part of the coming holiday when what hangs in the air is as important as what moves
around them or settles under a tree.
There was a flurry of communication from two of three daughters and friends
Visits from neighbors who stopped by and shared a cup of tea,
a hard conversation with my sister who is anticipating her son Thomas's pending surgery
to save his heart, a good heart, an honest heart, a frightened heart
All of whom I wish could come together to share a meal, embrace at arrival and departure,
and celebrate this season when we give thanks
for all that is good, knowing that each day is precious
and far more important than anything
as trivial as socks.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Carrie. I know how you feel (about the relative lack of importance of socks, and yet there they are). Wishing your nephew a successful surgery that will let him step into the next part of his life unafraid, about his heart at least.
    Love from icy Providence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabelle. Your generosity of spirit is always heartfelt and appreciated. Every day I know how blessed I am to have such wonderful family and friends. I hope that you have a wonderful time with Georgia and Robert and Wyatt. You will be missed this holiday. Love back to you from snowy Vermont.

      Delete