Monday, December 16, 2013

fully exposed and leaning toward the wind.

I’m glad we’re all gradually coming back to this blog—it’s like finding a way back home, like Kate can so poetically articulate, my mother continues to redefine, and what gives me peace of mind from the obstacles I move around, like a slalom skier, in my daily routine that is chock-full of self-imposed regimens.

Even as a kid, I needed to create order. My sisters and mother still pick on me for my residual OCD-ness, my compulsions to organize and keep it together and look put-together in the same breath. A space where I know where everything is, keeps me free of stress. I had lived alone for years, until Molly became my roommate in Portland, ME.
 
We kept house, sharing chores, and optimized the square-footage of our apartment, promoting a nurturing environment that had nothing but good, motivating energy. We had one rule:  Keep the negative out! And we did, by helping and supporting one another through our latest endeavors to better ourselves in school, at work, and in our romantic relationships. We told it how it was, not withholding or sugar-coating, because we respected each other and wanted only happiness for the other. We laughed until it hurt, and hugged it out when we needed to cry. Now, Molly’s out West in Mammoth, CA and I miss her like crazy, but I know she’s following her own internal compass and rightfully I’m proud of her for doing it, getting up and just going and honoring her adventurous spirit.
 
It’s amazing how much can transpire in such a short passage of time. Only a couple years ago, it felt like we were on the berm of making big decisions and important life choices. Today, when I look at the Facebook feeds, or have a conversation with my mother or either one of my sisters, everyone genuinely sounds like they are in places that are rewarding and full of joy. And of course, this is what they deserve and all I have ever wanted for them.
 
As for me, I continue to forge ahead with the pursuit of writing. I’ve had a couple publishing endorsements since my January graduation (I can’t believe it’s been almost another, whole year!), and as we move into 2014 there are already a few, exciting things on tap that will be shared as my work is released to the public. I have no complaints in this realm. I feel I’m on track to shape a career out of this passion of mine, and all the signs are there to keep me confidant that I’m following the right path.
There have been some changes, personal sacrifices and a handful of compromises. But I’ve held it together as best as I can and have most recently discovered what coming out on the other side of the tough stuff can do for an inspired mind. My faith in love is restored, as past tensions subside and I heal from what I can’t undo. I’m finding for the first time in my life that I’m following my heart, and accept fear as the unknown challenge I’m finally ready for.
Franz Kafka had some great insight into the important role fear plays in the development and growth of one's character: he said, by accepting fear as part of one’s substance, it perhaps becomes the defining attribute—how we reach for more, not knowing where the extent lies, or can be.
I’m certainly leaning toward the future, with my face fully exposed to the wind. And I'm anticipating all the possibilities.
~Sarah
 

No comments:

Post a Comment