Saturday, November 8, 2014


One Step After the Next

I step into the water, careful not to slide on moss covered rocks
Round and awkward 
Those sticking out understand my cautious feet
Slow moving, I break the still surface of the lake, causing ripples 
as I move away from the communal edge with
Picnic tables filled with wobbly legged bicyclists, click clacking in their special shoes
On tour, having their rosemary focaccia and free range something...
local ginger ale
The sky that meets the water with dragon flies that hover and hum
on this picture perfect day
I prepare, like always, to swim out to the middle 
But it's been three nights of cold
I  breathe with each stroke through the chill that rises to my chin
as I get farther from shore
My heart 
shouts louder every time I drop below the surface
I cannot breathe evenly
and I realize that my right leg no longer works
and there is no one
swimming or paddling to call out to
I move onto to my back 
and I wonder about my mother's ashes floating freely.
And I know for sure
that I will find my way home,
first on the water
and next on the dusty road.




No comments:

Post a Comment