Saturday, November 8, 2014

Unfinished Days


In These Unfinished Days

I often come home weary after a
twenty five minute drive with no sound
Or too much if I crank the radio and scream with the words that crackle and cry from the dashboard,
and my cheap speakers that
throb and shudder when I press the button to raise the window in my old and tired Volvo 240
No words left after a day of endless chatter
with few solutions to problems that mount and level
spill over into my sleep and dreams where I square off 
with demons and angels, reminding me of
conversations with my mother that I never finished,
even though I can't remember what they were about
 I can always feel the texture of her skin, taut and smooth,
and the fabrics that covered her in her final days
That ridiculous giraffe patterned fleece, the only thing we could find that would wrap around her
Blue knit cap made by the Ladies of Mercy
between gossip and gum cracking 
Emergency room visits that lent urgency
to every single day
God help us
there is still so much to do
That has little to do with 
suffering and righteous
just keeping an eye on a horizon that keeps changing
and light
Gorgeous light
That shows us how many shades of green there are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment